Friday, July 15, 2016

Shush or to share?

When it comes to our dreams and aspirations, I've always wondered if it was wise to share it with others or to keep it to myself. When I was younger, I'd always hear my brother say things like, "I want to fly" or "I want to build a big space shuttle", typical things you'd hear a child say. However, I still remember my mother always saying "Boy, don't build castles in the sky", rather sternly or sometimes she'd laugh and say that. But now, thinking back, are things that were previously said to children, in some ways limiting their true potential?

I recently read an article on how careful parents often are the cause for a child's failure. Quite controversial indeed. I suppose, it depends on the personality of the child as well. Surely, if parents were careful and the child was more adventurous and a risk-taker, that wouldn't affect that child as much as it would affect another child who is always careful and followed instructions well. As I'm growing older, "adulting" as they call it, becomes more of an unavoidable thing and amidst the whole graduation hiatus around the world at the moment, you may or may not have come across questions being directed to you or to someone you know which sounds a little like, "So, what's next?", or "What are you doing after this degree?", or "What do you want to be?". The common phrases you hear when you were younger, only now, you're taken seriously. 

When I was younger, I wanted to be a doctor and when people would ask me why, I would say it's because I want to help people. But, progressively throughout the years, I understand that being a doctor is not the only way to help people. However, you still notice that whatever job that you're in, people still regard doctors highly, and somehow, the teaching profession is looked down upon. As we've all heard this phrase before, "those who aren't good enough, teach". But then again, I beg to differ, I wouldn't be where I'm at today if it weren't for the sacrifices that were made by my teachers throughout my years in education. Yes, we all know that anyone can be a teacher, in a life sense that is; anyone that allows you to learn a lesson from an event, for an instance. 

But, the true question here, is whether or not we should tell people what we want to do. "Well, of course", may be your answer. But, when you've told people about your dreams and aspirations, it somehow is put out there and when people see that you don't achieve it; obviously, it may not be your own fault. It could just really have been that an unfortunate turn of events may have caused you to slightly deviate from your original path. In which case, I feel that it would impact on us badly, that is in making us feel bad and discouraged. So, what I'm trying to say is that, perhaps, being quiet about your achievements and also not sharing everything that you do would perhaps be better.

With social media being a huge influence in our lives and with every little achievements being posted all over our news feeds, it becomes tiresome and rather vexing when you see people posting about their achievements all the time. Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of each and every one of you. However, I think, sometimes, people do get the impression that the posting of every little achievement is almost like a pretentious behaviour in which I suppose, they may feel like you're bragging?

Of course, pay no mind to what others say about you or to you (unless given constructive feedback), but I feel that if we constantly share our success, others may tend to nitpick on our flaws more often. Perhaps as well, this could be attributed by either jealousy or annoyance, which one, I will never know. However, my personal take would be to be quiet about your success unless it's something that is widely known, for example, graduation or if you're at work, those are things that are unavoidable and will be known anyway. Also, it is really important to pick the people you wish to share the moments with because it will last you a lifetime. 

Anyway, to those who have graduated, a big Congratulations from myself and for those who have secured a job or have secured a place to further their studies, Congratulations as well. Remember that whatever grades you were assigned, it does not define you as a person. Sure, it may impact on your job opportunities for example, but that doesn't mean you're not destined for greater. I wouldn't say look at Steve Jobs or Bill Gates who dropped out, because they went to Harvard, unless of course, you're at Harvard. But, I've met a few people who received a lower grade than expected and they're really successful which I think is proof that some people are not as good at theoretical things but are quite good at the application of things. Good luck and all the best to everyone. 

Update: I will be updating my blog every Friday from now onwards!  Till my next post. xx


No comments:

Post a Comment