Sunday, June 26, 2016

Minimalism





It's all done and dusted now. I've finally completed my undergraduate degree and will now be adding a BSc (Honors) behind my name! It's so exciting to finally finish something that I've been working so hard for the past 3 years of my life. It's definitely so rewarding to know that I have reached a point in my life where I am happy to have achieved academic success and I'm also happy to announce that I will be going onto a Master's degree next year and my place has also been confirmed which is very exciting.




Moving onto the next chapter of my life, I think it's going to be very difficult to work longer hours while studying, I have a full 20 hour per week contract with 3 different part time jobs which I intend to work in order to be able to fund my Master's as well and I know it would prove challenging to see how things will work out in the end. I am also applying for funding elsewhere, but it's always very competitive, but I just don't think too much about it so that I don't get my hopes up too much. 


Okay, one thing I'm really happy about is that Pa&Ma scholarship sorted me out (that's my parents y'all). So, I don't have to worry about paying any loans back. But, now that I'm self-funding my Master's, I am a little worried as to how much harder it would be.

However though, it just seems very fitting that I've recently discovered minimalism. I mean, I am very much a vegetarian when it comes down to my eating habits, I am trying to be vegan but I'm still making the transition. I don't really tell this to anyone because I feel it's unnecessary to label ourselves and my way of eating shouldn't stop other people from eating meat. I personally feel that other vegans always make meat-eaters feel bad about eating meat. I know it's bad for your health, mainly because I'm a Biomedical Science graduate but also because of the implications rearing farm animals has on the environment. I personally do not feel that I need to patronise or judge someone because of their choices, so, I honestly feel that I would encourage people to be vegetarian or vegan but only if they approach the topic, because, in the end, it is quite a sensitive topic and people don't like being told what to do.

So, my minimalist journey has only recently begun. I have been reading about it and watching videos for about a year now, but I have only recently been revamping my life in terms of my material possessions. I am using the KonMari method to clean out my belongings but at the same time, I am also trying to make sure that all the things that I'm getting rid off is being relocated elsewhere. I have not however, dived into minimalism and for me, I prefer the moderate minimalism instead of the camper van minimalism where people don't bother to have houses and live in their vans. But, personally, that kind of lifestyle just isn't for me. 

It varies from person to person but I strongly believe that my detachment from material possessions make me happier although shopping also makes me happy but because of the negative effects of the clutter that accumulates, I prefer minimalism to shopping. Also because I live in quite a small room, it really tends to pile up and because I move almost every year, I would want a personal space that is quite mobile so that I would be able to own things but be able to move efficiently as well. 

Once I get a job, I'm looking to get a small apartment, and I don't think I would give up minimalism but that doesn't mean I won't be buying things anymore. It just means that I will be buying less things and only when necessary.

If you have any questions, please leave a comment below or message me on Facebook or twitter, I'll be happy to answer any questions. 

Till my next post. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment