Sunday, October 11, 2015

3 MONTH CHALLENGE: Week 1

So, no dessert doesn't kill me apparently. Still alive. Surviving the first day of 3 months without sugar. So, lesson 1. EVERYTHING HAS SUGAR. Even milk, but the natural sugar that we take is different from the added sugar that we consume. Additives that is, however people would like to call it, natural sweetener, or anything else are bad for you. Yes, they are gluten free. But that does not make it healthier. I have had to switch drinking coffee with the sugar and milk to just black coffee, and my daily breakfast cereal contains a lot more sugar than I expected. 

Muesli it is to avoid sugar, with plain ol' hazelnuts and raisins- note that raisins contain natural sugar and does not contain any more sugar than its fresh counterparts. Hence, it is okay to eat dried fruit, although I hate fruit and I hate vegetable. So, this is going to be a challenge for me. Well, honestly, don't hate fruit that much, I do however hate vegetable.


For the first day, it doesn't quite feel like a problem, so hey ho. Turkish delight can be stowed away without a worry, orange juice can be in the fridge without me touching it, and everything else should be fine, right?

Lunch? I had porridge, without sugar, yes, imagine my misery and filtered coffee. How do I feel? Well, not lethargic, not sleepy, I feel fine. Don't have withdrawal effects yet, but then again, one day is not difficult. I'm trying to cut out white rice and white bread because of the carbohydrate originating from sugar is a lot higher than in whole wheat. 

Also, did you know that skimmed milk contained more sugar than whole-milk? Thankfully I do drink whole-milk, and low fat yoghurt has more sugar than plain yoghurt. Imagine my surprise. Anyway, it's also shopping day tomorrow to get me some food. I cannot imagine not snacking on cake, or Haribo. This is going to be dreadful. Well, see you tomorrow, I suppose. I don't know what I'm going to eat. This is heartbreaking already. 

I can't have malt biscuit with my tea. And I can't have honey, although it's a natural sweetener, but I want to try to avoid anything that may trigger my sweet tooth. No popcorn as well. OMG! No popcorn. 

Day 1 has been bland food as I had not been prepared for this, and I could not be bothered to go grocery shopping, so, I have to wake up early in the morning tomorrow to go shopping. ugh. 

Day 2 was relatively okay, with mostly egg whites and chicken, I think that's about everything I had and I had tea, a few cups of tea.

Day 3 on the other hand, was a lot tougher than I expected it to be. I had some cheese and onion pasty, no added sugar, I checked. I had grapes for lunch, and for dinner, more egg whites. I also had snack, which was cream crackers with cheese. All other types of biscuits are laden with sugar. 

Went to the supermarket and got myself some carrots to have with some hummus, apples, bananas, sweet potatoes, baby gems, sun dried tomato, cucumber, salmon, creme fraiche, fish, bread (I found one without sugar added). It was a victory as I had to skim the shelves for the one without sugar added. Could not pick up tortilla wraps because it had sugar added, who knew. Last but not least, I think I've got enough food to last me a week, which I am extremely excited about!

So, already am feeling the withdrawal effect, I feel like munching on something, but really, I know I just want a bar of chocolate. Tea helps though. Just plain tea with no milk or anything.

Day 5 I'm really busy with work and I really want a bar of chocolate to ease the depression of having go through research and getting my dissertation written up. I'm drinking flavoured tea with no sugar and it's really no fun. But at least I'm still not giving into temptation of having a bar of chocolate. 

How many days to giving this up? Oh right, about 2 months and 3 weeks. But physically, I feel a lot better, I don't feel bloated or fat, I'm tired but I think it's mostly because of the amount of work I have.

Til' my next post. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment