Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pronounce it Right!

You know what gets me worked up sometimes? Pronunciation and spelling. I don't even want to start with grammar or I'll be ranting about it all day.

The idea sparked when I came across one of my student's folder. His name was Javier. So, me being me, out of curiosity, I asked Teacher Agnes how did the mother pronounce it? She started laughing. Then, she told me that the mother pronounced it as JAA-VI-ERR.


She continues by saying that "People should learn how to pronounce the name before giving it to their child". I couldn't resist the temptation to laugh as well and I agree with what Teacher Agnes said. It's pronounced  HAA-VEE-AIR .

Some names are difficult to pronounce, no doubt about it. But don't you think that the person who gave the name to their children should know how to pronounce it right first? I wonder if someone ever did correct the mom or if she did find out the real pronunciation of the name and would she have thought to herself:



I wonder.

As if it's not enough, people mispronounce Volkswagen as VOLKS-WEY-GEN. Dude, it's FOLKS-VA-GEN.



Although I do this whenever I'm writing down Wednesday.


When people pronounce espresso as EXPRESSO. (Stop being so hung up on your ex and move on)




I found this funny.

So, this happened to me recently. Saw this guy, smiling, with a nice face, gorgeous everything. Then he started speaking.


Grammar. No need to say. Pronunciation. I felt like dying. Accent?


I felt like hiding. Honestly, I was blushing on his behalf. I wanted to run away as far as I could. He looked so confident as well which made me want to just crawl under a tunnel and sit there till he's gone. 


It's pronounced like base.

Okay, so, I'm not extremely good at language. I do get confused when using certain things. I learn a lot and when people correct me, I don't condemn them, I accept it. For example, voice out is wrong, it's just voice. You can use speak out instead. You don't say he is good in English. You say he is good at English. Good In is for (location). Good at is for (subject or activity). Also, speak English, NOT TALK English. You talk with someone not talk to. When you say talk to, it means you're talking to someone, they needn't have to respond. If you're talking with, it means you're conversing with them.


To be honest, I got this wrong the first time too. Everyone around me were saying ma-ke-roon. Then only did I find out the actual pronunciation. 



This right here. Whenever someone's ordering a colonel burger from KFC, I feel like telling them the actual pronunciation. But, then I don't bother, because it's rude to embarrass someone in public. So, I just hold that thought in. But my expression is something like this:











I read a lot, so, sometimes, I find a word that I don't even know how to pronounce, so I Google it. But you know how when you're surrounded with people who pronounce it wrongly. You somehow feel like you don't want to look like a show-offish (this word does not exist) kind of person, so, you think of whether or not you want to use the correct pronunciation of a word or the common WRONG pronunciation of the word? I have.



What irritates me is when people use a french phrase just to look intelligent. The worst part is when they pronounce it wrong and still smile because they feel smart. So, see, don't always try to jump the gun and use the phrase before finding out the actual pronunciation.


Please learn.




Every time I shop with people, they don't know how to pronounce these brands. It's insulting. Just imagine having someone go with you to a fashion show and they say "OMG, I LOVE ANNA SUI (Ahn-na Suy)" smh.









But when people speak proper English, with proper linguistic intonations, proper grammar, proper pronunciation. I feel like:


Last but not least, try out this poem. I find it really helpful and hilarious. (when it comes to the last part) Try it for yourself.



Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse, and worse.
I will keep you, Suzy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy.
Tear in eye, your dress will tear.
So shall I! Oh hear my prayer.
Just compare heart, beard, and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word,
Sword and sward, retain and Britain.
(Mind the latter, how it’s written.)
Now I surely will not plague you
With such words as plaque and ague.
But be careful how you speak:
Say break and steak, but bleak and streak;
Cloven, oven, how and low,
Script, receipt, show, poem, and toe.
Hear me say, devoid of trickery,
Daughter, laughter, and Terpsichore,
Typhoid, measles, topsails, aisles,
Exiles, similes, and reviles;
Scholar, vicar, and cigar,
Solar, mica, war and far;
One, anemone, Balmoral,
Kitchen, lichen, laundry, laurel;
Gertrude, German, wind and mind,
Scene, Melpomene, mankind.
Billet does not rhyme with ballet,
Bouquet, wallet, mallet, chalet.
Blood and flood are not like food,
Nor is mould like should and would.
Viscous, viscount, load and broad,
Toward, to forward, to reward.
And your pronunciation’s OK
When you correctly say croquet,
Rounded, wounded, grieve and sieve,
Friend and fiend, alive and live.
Ivy, privy, famous; clamour
And enamour rhyme with hammer.
River, rival, tomb, bomb, comb,
Doll and roll and some and home.
Stranger does not rhyme with anger,
Neither does devour with clangour.
Souls but foul, haunt but aunt,
Font, front, wont, want, grand, and grant,
Shoes, goes, does. Now first say finger,
And then singer, ginger, linger,
Real, zeal, mauve, gauze, gouge and gauge,
Marriage, foliage, mirage, and age.
Query does not rhyme with very,
Nor does fury sound like bury.
Dost, lost, post and doth, cloth, loth.
Job, nob, bosom, transom, oath.
Though the differences seem little,
We say actual but victual.
Refer does not rhyme with deafer.
Foeffer does, and zephyr, heifer.
Mint, pint, senate and sedate;
Dull, bull, and George ate late.
Scenic, Arabic, Pacific,
Science, conscience, scientific.
Liberty, library, heave and heaven,
Rachel, ache, moustache, eleven.
We say hallowed, but allowed,
People, leopard, towed, but vowed.
Mark the differences, moreover,
Between mover, cover, clover;
Leeches, breeches, wise, precise,
Chalice, but police and lice;
Camel, constable, unstable,
Principle, disciple, label.
Petal, panel, and canal,
Wait, surprise, plait, promise, pal.
Worm and storm, chaise, chaos, chair,
Senator, spectator, mayor.
Tour, but our and succour, four.
Gas, alas, and Arkansas.
Sea, idea, Korea, area,
Psalm, Maria, but malaria.
Youth, south, southern, cleanse and clean.
Doctrine, turpentine, marine.
Compare alien with Italian,
Dandelion and battalion.
Sally with ally, yea, ye,
Eye, I, ay, aye, whey, and key.
Say aver, but ever, fever,
Neither, leisure, skein, deceiver.
Heron, granary, canary.
Crevice and device and aerie.
Face, but preface, not efface.
Phlegm, phlegmatic, ass, glass, bass.
Large, but target, gin, give, verging,
Ought, out, joust and scour, scourging.
Ear, but earn and wear and tear
Do not rhyme with here but ere.
Seven is right, but so is even,
Hyphen, roughen, nephew Stephen,
Monkey, donkey, Turk and jerk,
Ask, grasp, wasp, and cork and work.
Pronunciation (think of Psyche!)
Is a paling stout and spikey?
Won’t it make you lose your wits,
Writing groats and saying grits?
It’s a dark abyss or tunnel:
Strewn with stones, stowed, solace, gunwale,
Islington and Isle of Wight,
Housewife, verdict and indict.
Finally, which rhymes with enough,
Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?
Hiccough has the sound of cup.
My advice is to give up!!!
B. Shaw




Today's hot stuff:

(I know I said I will post a picture of a hot guy at the end of my posts, but I cannot hold in the love that I have for Elizabeth Woolridge-Grant a.k.a Lana Del Rey)








Despite how people say she's done plastic surgery to her lips, how she has a glitter tooth on and every flaw and imperfections of hers, I still love her. I love her songs, I love her voice, I love her style, I love her face (before and after surgery), I don't care that she smokes, I really just love her personality and how she's so down to earth. I could listen to her songs all day and despite how people say that her songs are depressing, she really isn't as a person. Also, you only feel depressed if you're depressed. I never feel depressed when I listen to her songs.

I just wish that one day I would be noticed by her. But, no matter what, I will listen to her until the very end of her career and even after that. She's a strong woman and I know that she's been through a lot. There are so many rumors out there about her. But I think you have to truly know her to say anything. Maybe one day I'll get a chance. I may be just another fan, but I'm her biggest one yet. Waiting for the day I get to meet her. 

I LOVE YOU LANA DEL REY!!







No comments:

Post a Comment